Rhinebeck 2009 Countdown

Saturday, July 19, 2008

A week+ of YARN LOVE !!

I’ve really been lax with my posting this week, so first an apology. I’ve been feeling really yucky this week, and I finally went to the doctor yesterday. I’m having extreme issues with my thyroid, and combined with my borderline diabetes, high blood pressure and weight issues, I’m having a rough go at things right now. I’m currently being looked at for diabetic neuropothy, which is causing numbness and swelling in my hands and feet. I’m going for bloodwork on Monday morning, so hopefully I’ll know more this coming week.

So, since I’m at home resting (thankfully in the air conditioning), it’s given me a chance to get caught up with pictures and blogging. There’s a lot to talk about, so let’s get started:

First, I need to give a big SHOUT-OUT to Paige (Galeogirl on Ravelry) for the lovely tea assortment she sent from the June Random Act of Kindness (RAK) thread. She sent a wonderful gift pack of 6 loose tea tins from Mighty Leaf tea. I received African Nectar (which is a tropical rooibos blend), Chamomile Citrus, Organic Earl Grey, Mountain Spring Jasmine, Orange Dulce and Green Tea Tropical. YUMM!

Next, another great package of tea arrived from Sandy (spvaughan on Ravelry). She sent me a yummy selection of Mariage Frères teas. She sent me 1oz. packages of Thé de Paques (Tea of Easter), Earl Grey French Blue, 1854, Montagne D’Or and Empereur Chen Nung and a pack of Eye Tea….WOW!!! I don’t know what I did to deserve this package, but THANK YOU !!!!


I also receive a fabulous package from my July RAK post. Marti (PaperYarnGirl on Ravelry). She sent a lovely assortment of bookmarkers, postcards and a blank notebook all in various Mary Engelbreit designs. Thank you so much !!
I also received a RANDOM package from a secret admirer. It was a pack of Vera Bradley notecards/envelopes in my favorite, JAVA BLUE pattern. I don’t know WHO sent it, but THANK YOU !!!

Now, on to some YARN—

Last weekend, I received a BIG package of BMFA from Purlescence Yarns in California. I purchased a half dozen of Lightweight STR and I immediately became enthralled by this yarn…..I have decided to devote as much as I can of my Stitches East spending money to BMFA yarns. And I’m bringing my empty rolling bag with me to haul it all back home!

That's Blarney Stone, Pebble Beach and Pirate's Booty

and this is Puck's Mischief, Socktopus and Undertoe
I'm in the process of exchanging the Blarney Stone for a different colorway, so when I get that, I'll be posting the new yarn
I received two more Yarn Pirate skeins this week……..courtesy of purchases on Ravelry
First was a skein of MERMAID I purchased from jfw04, thanks Jennifer!
The other skein I received was PRETTY PIRATE, which I purchased from BroadwayKnits. I just LOVE this, even more so, because it was re-skeined so all of the colors are blended together. It reminds me of Good-N-Plenty candy from when I was a kid. Thanks Christy!!
And to complete my week, I received a package from my Four Seasons-Summer swap partner-craftypuppylover. Carrie has been droppin’ hints to me all month, and I was super-excited when she emailed me earlier this week to let me know the package was on it’s way. It arrived this morning, and since I’m house-bound this weekend, it made my day!
I can believe the goodies she sent me; 2 (yes, that’s TWO) skeins of Malabrigo worsted……Bijou Blue and TIGER LILY !!! I almost hyper-ventilated…..I’ve been wanting this yarn since I first saw it in January (when I first joined Ravelry), and I really wanted the Tiger Lily colorway to make an Odessa hat. So I am SUPER-PSYCHED !!! She also send me some mini-skeins of hand-spun & dyed yarns that match the Malabrigo…..more LOVE!! And she sent two skeins of Silky Wool in a beautiful sea glass green tone (which I will save for my my Branching Out scarf). I was WAY spoiled!.
Also included in the package were an assortment of teas (YAY Tea!), a reed diffuser that is an Ocean Mist scent. I’ve always wanted one of these, and I am putting this one in the bedroom to lull me to sleep with the scent of the ocean. She also sent me an Israel Kamakawiwo’ole CD called Facing Future. It’s got two of my favorite songs-White Sandy Beach of Hawai’I, which I first heard when we were in Maui, and his version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow, which my DH loves. Carrie pointed out that this was her wedding song too (which is just ANOTHER cool connection that she and I have). She also included goodies for my pets and DH---I might have to try the Blueberry Crumble coffee she sent for him…..it sounds YUMMO! One of the other EXCITING items in the package were the notecards she sent. They are of Hawaiian hula girl with a black kitty, which is an illustration by the artist SHAG. Her notecard was a different design, but also by SHAG. What Carrie didn’t know, and I don’t think that anyone by my DH knows, is that SHAG is one of my favorites. I first fell in love with his work several years ago, when he did a bunch of exclusive designs for Disneyland for their 50th anniversary. I bought a bunch of the stuff when I went to DL in 2005, and think his style is super-KOOL. I must now find out where she got these notecards…….

So there you have it……..goodies galore, which are ALL appreciated, especially in my current state. I hope I start feeling well soon, as I’d hoped to start my Saturday knitting sessions this week, and now don’t know when I’ll start. I’m getting lessons for help with my purl stitch so that I can get started with some simple projects.

2 comments:

Annelies Z said...

Hi there Donna. I see that you are a big tea fan and just received some Mighty Leaf as part of the Random Gifts of Kindness. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the teas and if you're interested in reviewing other Mighty Leaf teas, please email me at annelies at mightyleaf dot com.

Cheers,
Annelies Z.

maryeb said...

I saw your post on ravelry.
You have a wonderful blog.
I love tea too so I'm looking forward to reading more from you.